The Endless Stash Project

Sunday, November 05, 2006


My first double knitted project and also my first made-up pattern. I have a bunch of balls of fun fur that I sort of like, but have no use for. I hate fun fur scarves. A few weeks ago I was in some fancy, hipster boutique and I saw a bomber hat. It was like 30 bucks. I thought I would splurge and use some of my first paycheck on it. Well, that night, I was inspired by my blue fun fur to knit the hat instead. I ordered some knitpicks wool of the andes bulky in navy and double up the fun fur to match. Then I spent a night trying to figure out how to double knit.
I knit a basic beanie cap for the base. I didn't do fur entirely on the inside, only for the first 3 inches. Then I switched to navy inside. I then picked up stitches around the edge and made the earflaps and the brim. As you can see above, some of the fuzzy if sticking out of the navy, but I can just poke it through. That happened before I figured out how that I had to scrunch it down and out of the way. The only issue I have is that the fun fur is so thick the hat turned out a little smaller than i wanted. It fits, but I need to stetch it out some.
Inside out:

I hope you like looking at it as much as I liked making it.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I like Pairs

So this first hat is pretty basic. It's kittyville from SNB. It's for my sister's birthday (my 32 year-old sister, who I know will wear this all the time). I'd like to refer to it as monsterville. at some point, i plan on getting button eyes and sewing them to the front. I used some no-name leftover green wool (from another hat project) and a doubled up moda dea Wild! probably one of the few fun furs i didn't mind working with. It turns out very thick doubled up, not as stringy as other furs. Here it is on me:

The second hat is a tale of tragedy turned happy ending. My friend Mike in Arizona wanted a hat (apparently it gets cold at night?). So I had some leftover Moda Dea and decided to make him knittys Tychus while on a long bus ride. It's a ridicuously easy pattern, so it only took me an hour ot get halfway through. That was when I realized I had grossly overestimated the amount of yarn I had. I got this far:

until I ran out. I had a good amount of brown left, but not a lot of the multicolored yarn. SO i ripped it out and decided to still do the short row, but with less stitches. I cast on 24 stitches, rather than 38. I still did the same amount of turns, so the hat would still be as wide (look at the pattern so this explanation will mke more sense), but not as high. I managed to get all the way around and done. Then I added a ribbed band around the bottm to make the hat long enough to fit. Now comes the second problem. There was no way the hat could fit his head. It just fits mine, and I'm an inch less in cranium size. BUT, a miracle! it looks really cute on my head and i'm in a place that actually has winter. So I will keep this one and make Mike a new one.

I hope to have more exciting stuff later.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Deux Sweaters

This is Stitch N' Bitch's "Peppermint twist." All the colors are a different brand cotton. The blue was that cheapo Sugar stuff you can get at Joann's. I don't remember the other two brands. I only recommend this sweater if you have the patience to knit on size 2 needles. I myself will never, ever do that again. I look very unflattering in horizontal stripes, so I opted for an image on the front. I was inspired by my mom's old 70s knitting mags. The adult sweaters are all pretty bland, but the kid's stuff has all these fun stripes and images and bright colors. My sister recommended the dinosaur. I made the pattern for the dino by getting a piece of paper and cutting it to the dimensions of the front of the sweater. Then I drew a dino and measured all the spaces. Next, I applied the gauge to the measurements I got. Not as perfect as using a grid, but obviously it worked out fine.

The majority of the yarn was purchased using a gift certificate. When I got to the sleeves I didn't know if I'd have enough left for the recommended length of the sleeves. I decided to knit them backwards, starting at the should and increasing rather than binding off. I also worked the two sleeves simultaneously. I think it ended up being about the same length (if not more). I have about ten feet of the blue yarn left.

To make the back exciting, I made the tale scuttle along the back.

Second Sweater:

This one's from last year. The first sweater I've ever done. The yarn was Moda Dea "Metro." I based the pattern on one I found in those lovely knitting mags my mom has. The heart design is from a sweatshirt I own and I added the hearts to the sleeves. If I remember, I shortened the torso and applied the button band differently. I actually kind of threw this in my closet for months without putting on the buttons. My mom finally ended up doing it. I was just really frustrated with it. It was my first intarsia work and I didn't realize that intarsia makes the stitches tighter. Subsequently, the front ribbing flares out rather than tightening. The buttons don't stay very well, either. Once I retried the sweater on, I realized that it doesn't look half bad.

The Reason

The reason I started this blog is because I have decided to come to terms with the overabundance of yarn in my knitting bag. I have told my self that before I can buy anymore yarn I must use every last bit of what I've got. (The only acception being that my friend Emma wants black and pink arm warmers, and I don't have either.) This blog may in time grow to hold my other crafting ventures, but for now it's dedicated to yarn.